Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program
The Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program is a joint venture of the Ontario Motor Coach Association (OMCA), Ontario Public Transit Association (OPTA) and School Bus Ontario (SBO). This one-of-a-kind program teaches fleet driver instructors how to properly train new and seasoned drivers. If a passing grade is achieved, a certificate is issued, thus providing one of the prerequisites for “Signing Authority” under the Ontario Ministry of Transportation’s “Driver Certification Program”.
2024 P.R.I.D.E. Program dates are:
- January 20-26
- February 10-16
- March 9-15
- April 6-12
- May 4-10
- May 30-June 2 & June 7-9 (two extended weekends)
- July 6-12
- July 18-21 & 26-28 (two extended weekends)
- August 15-18 & 23-25 (two extended weekends)
- September 19-22 & 27-29 (two extended weekends)
- October 26-November 1
- November 9-15
- November 30-December 6
Additional programs will be scheduled to meet demand.
Recertification information can be found here.
What You Will Receive:
- A dual learning environment that is 50% in-classroom and 50% on-road in a vehicle.
- Certification for “Signing Authority” with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation in order to upgrade and renew drivers’ licenses on your own premises (if passing grade achieved and all other MTO requirements are met).
- Indispensable techniques for classroom instruction including the effective use of audio visual equipment, non-lecture format and more!
- Superior facilitation skills including climate setting, guided questioning, being an active listener, and giving positive feedback both in the classroom and on-board the vehicle.
- Valuable in-vehicle information on “HOW” to properly teach pre-trip inspections, defensive driving, right and left turns, night driving and more.
- Effective techniques for dealing appropriately with the concerns and sentiments of new and seasoned trainees alike.
- One-on-one interaction with master instructors and many opportunities to exchange information among participants.
All participants will take home…
- Detailed pre-course material.
- A comprehensive reference manual.
- A handy booklet with speciﬁc on-road training techniques. Guidelines for classroom instruction.
- Certiﬁcate upon successful program completion.
- USB ﬂash drive for each participant to save presentations and information developed/received during the program.
- A complimentary mini whiteboard for on-road training.
- A laminated trainer’s “feedback” card.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone currently employed by a company in driver instruction on large vehicles and/or with vehicle fleets, as well as instructors who may be involved with driver instruction in the future. One of the objectives of this program is to encourage consistent instructional methods among all driver trainers regardless of the organization in which they work. All participants taking part in the Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program must hold a valid classified license (e.g. A, B, C, D, E, F for Ontario).
There will be hands-on simulations and lots of practice with real-life situations both in the classroom and on-road, on-board a bus. It is a highly participative and supportive approach within the adult learning environment, suitable for all fleets including non-bus related.
Daily ending times are approximate. Participant travel arrangements are required to coincide appropriately with Saturday and Friday course start/end times. The program is from Saturday-Friday. The daily times are below:
- Saturday – 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Sunday-Thursday – 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Friday – 7:00 am – 4:00 pm
The P.R.I.D.E. Program would like to take this opportunity to recognize and thank the donors of all vehicles being used during the program. The participant’s experience and enjoyment are maximized because of the assistance and goodwill of these ﬁne organizations.
Program fees include a Sunday welcome lunch, tuition, all course materials, and support services for the duration of the program. Daily buffet breakfast and lunch included in nightly accommodation costs for participants staying in the hotel. The cost of accommodation, dinner, incidentals, and travel are not included in the program registration fee.
NOTE: Hotel accommodation is recommended for all participants regardless of proximity to the program location. Hotel reservations are made by the P.R.I.D.E. Program on behalf of all participants, but the cost of accommodation is not included in the program registration fee.
Testimonials from Previous Participants
I feel 100% prepared to return to work and become an amazing trainer with all the confidence and knowledge I gained. I am confident and excited to continue using the P.R.I.D.E. philosophy in my training and am able to apply some of this to my daily life!
Paula Vachon, Sharp Bus Lines Limited
What an exceptional program! It was fantastically planned and executed each and every day! A true joy to be part of it. The level of encouragement was always top notch. I would do it again!
Sandy Smith, McCoy Bus Lines
This was my favorite course I have every taken. It was always positive and trainers were engaged and encouraging to everyone. Just fantastic.
Lindsay Blanchard, Guelph Transit
At first I thought it was going to be a lot of lecturing, boring to be quite honest. But on the contrary, I found the program to be nothing but the utmost interesting, interactive, non-lecture program. I have benefitted so much from being here.
Patsy Button, Landmark Bus Lines
- $3,300 + HST per person (Members of OMCA, OPTA, SBO)
- $3,800 + HST per person (Non-members)HST Registration # R104001060
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Maximum of 12 participants per program.
- Complete one registration form for each participant attending.
- Full registration payment is required at time of registration form submission, by credit card number, scan/email or
faxed copy of a cheque. If payment is not received, registration space may be forfeited. Payments will not be processed until the program is fully booked. A receipt for payment will be emailed when the registration fee is processed.
- Make cheques payable and mail to: Ontario Motor Coach Association c/o 290 North Queen St., Suite 112 Toronto, ON M9C 5L2
- If you choose to pay by credit card – your credit card will not be charged at this time. As soon as your registration is confirmed by the P.R.I.D.E. Recertification Program and you have a confirmed space, you will be notified and your card will be charged at a later date.
The program is conducted by experienced facilitators. Their highly professional approach reflects in-depth research based on behaviour modelling and developmental learning and incorporates an effective and proven instructional methodology and adult learning principles. The current Master Trainer Team includes:
- Adam Arbour
- Kathie Heyworth
- Jane Black
- Amanda Hearns
- David Sodaro
- Karen Wilk
- Frank Chu
- Joel Bailey
- Nicky Cheung
Signing Authority / Recognized Authority
This program has been approved by the Ministry of Transportation as an ofﬁcial prerequisite to becoming a “Signing Authority” in the province of Ontario. Information regarding “Signing Authority” and the MTO Driver Certiﬁcation Program (DCP) is provided by the Ministry of Transportation during each program. Participants wishing to apply for “Signing Authority” must hold a valid Ontario driver’s licence for the previous three years in the class of vehicles for which they will be training. Organizations wishing to obtain a “Recognized Authority” company designation must own and operate a minimum of 25 commercial vehicles in the licence class in which the training is to be offered along with several other criteria. To view the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Driver Certification Program (DCP) Signing Authority Qualifications, click here. For further information about “Signing Authority” and “Recognized Authority”, please contact the MTO Driver Certiﬁcation Program (DCP) ofﬁce at 416-235-4323 or driver.certiﬁcation.email@example.com.
In the event that a registrant is unable to attend, cancellations will be accepted in writing without penalty up to 30 days prior to program commencement. After that date, no refunds or transfers will be permitted, although an alternative name may be submitted for the same program. The Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program reserves the right to cancel or change a program should insufﬁcient enrollment or other factors warrant such action, in which case all payments will be refunded.
Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/Burlington, 985 Syscon Rd, Burlington, ON L7L 5S3, (905) 631-7000