Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) RECERTIFICATION Program
The Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Recertification Program is a joint venture of the Ontario Motor Coach Association (OMCA), Ontario Public Transit Association (OPTA) and School Bus Ontario (SBO).
- 2023 P.R.I.D.E. Recertification Program Registration Form To Follow
2023 Recertification Program dates are:
Additional programs will be scheduled to meet demand.
Pre-course form for confirmed participants:
Mandatory Training to Maintain MTO Signing Authority Designation
What You Will Receive
- Certification to maintain Ontario Ministry of Transportation Signing Authority designation (all program objectives must be met).
- Detailed advance course materials.
- All on-site course materials and support services for the duration of the program
- Individual participant objectives document.
- Review and evaluation of facilitation, presentation and instructional skills and techniques.
- Re-examination of the purpose and importance of learning objectives, lesson plans and adult learning principles.
- Review of feedback and coaching skills, and the proper use of audiovisual aids when training.
- Discussion of rules of the road; traffic laws and regulations; vehicle components; vehicle handling and control; driver behaviour, attitudes, respect and responsibility; sharing the road; perception and risk management customer service; emergency operations.
- MTO written/road test and Driver Certification Program (DCP) materials.
- Reference documents.
- Light lunch and refreshment breaks.
Who Should Attend?
Any Signing Authority (as designated by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation Driver Certiﬁcation Program (DCP) who has received notiﬁcation from the Ministry that recertiﬁcation is required, and previous graduates of the regular (ﬁve-day) P.R.I.D.E. Certiﬁcation program. This program is intended for seasoned driver trainers who would like a refresher of the P.R.I.D.E. Program facilitation and instructional techniques/philosophies and are currently involved with instructing new or experienced drivers of large vehicles and/or within any type of vehicle ﬂeets. One of the objectives of this program is to encourage consistent instructional methods among all driver trainers regardless of the organization or discipline in which they train.
Prerequisite: Any Fleet Driver Instructor Certiﬁcation Program. This one-day course curriculum was designed to reinforce Signing Authority instructor qualities and to ensure continued high quality in the delivery of driver training. It includes 6-7 hours of advance preparation by participants, as well as on-site re-assessment of adult education competencies and principles as covered in the regular, ﬁve-day P.R.I.D.E. Certiﬁcation program. This program is a highly participative and supportive approach within the adult learning environment suitable for all ﬂeets.
- On-Site: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Advance course preparation: 6-7 hours
The program is conducted by experienced industry facilitators. Their highly professional approach and experience from the P.R.I.D.E Certification Program, reflects in-depth research based on behaviour modeling and developmental learning and incorporates an effective and proven instructional methodology and adult learning principles.
Testimonials from Previous Participants
I found it very enlightening and brings back a lot of the fine keys we tend to not use on a daily basis. Very interactive with trainees and promotes sharing of ideas.
John Milner, First Student
The P.R.I.D.E. course can always be counted on to deliver a quality interactive learning experience.
Kimberly Jodoin, Town of Oakville
Great program with good feedback. Lots of participation. The program is always informative and great networking with other companies.
Angel Steenburg, Hammond Transportation Ltd.
Great refresher. Just like a driver evaluation, it made one take an honest look at my facilitation role. It’s easy to slide back into old habits. Gave great ideas for quick and easy activities that involve the whole group. Interactive and fun. Designed to help you recognize your strengths and areas for improvement.
Jean Barber, STC-Elgie Bus Lines
Very enjoyable, informative, great refresher.
Deb Harkness, Metrolinx – GO Transit
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Maximum of 12 participants per program.
- Complete one registration form for each participant attending.
- Full registration payment is required at time of registration form submission, by credit card number, scan/email or
faxed copy of a cheque. If payment is not received, registration space may be forfeited. Payments will not be processed until the program is fully booked. A receipt for payment will be emailed when the registration fee is processed.
- Make cheques payable and mail to: Ontario Motor Coach Association 290 North Queen St., Suite 112 Toronto, ON M9C 5L2
- If you choose to pay by credit card – your credit card will not be charged at this time. As soon as your registration is confirmed by the P.R.I.D.E. Recertification Program and you have a confirmed space, you will be notified and your card will be charged at a later date.
Please note that the Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program is a pass or fail course based on each participant achieving all of the program objectives as outlined in the pre-course package sent to all participants.
In the event that a registrant is unable to attend, cancellations will be accepted in writing without penalty up to 30 days prior to program commencement. After that date, no refunds or transfers will be permitted, although an alternate name may be submitted for the same program. The Professional Instructor in Driver Education (P.R.I.D.E.) Program reserves the right to cancel or change a program should insufficient enrollment or other factors warrant such action, in which case all payments will be refunded.
Holiday Inn, 3063 South Service Road, Burlington, ON L7N 3E9, 905-639-4443